A "boy" has always wanted to travel and believed his treasure was to be found at the pyramids in Egypt. He decides to become a shepherd because they get to travel. One his way he meets many people who help him along the way, in their way. A gypsy can't tell him how to get to the pyramids, but wants 10% of his treasure when he gets if for wasting her time. He runs into a king who gives him two very important stones and buys his sheep. He is robbed by one person and given a job by another, which benefits both him and the shop owner. An alchemist helps him reach his goal of the pyramids where his two stones turn to gold, that is then stolen from him and he gets a beating in return.
He returns home, finds his treasure and reunites with the love of his life that he met during is journey.
This is a story of following your heart and dreams. Don't be afraid of the unknown or you will never reach your full potential.
My goal this year was to read 76 books, 50 of which had to books I already owned. I surpassed my goal.
My goal of 2014 will be 100.
1. [Ten Typewriter Tales] - Mobashar Qureshi (12/31/12 - 1/1/13)
2. [The Good Earth] - Pearl S. Buck (audio) (12/25/12 - 1/15/13)
3. [Water for Elephants] - Sara Bruen (audio) (12/25/12 - 1/10/13)
4. [The 36th Infantry United States Colored Troops in the Civil War: A History and Roster] - James
K. Bryant, II (12/25/12 - 1/13/13)
5. [One for The Money] - Janet Evanovich (1/8/12 - 1/14/13)
6. [Fork It Over - Alan Richman] (1/3/12 - 1/18/13)
7. [The Gingerbread Girl] Audio - Stephen King (1/11/13)
8. [Two For The Dough] - Janet Evanovich (1/15/13 - 2/2/13)
9. [Not for Kids] - Todd Brabander (1/8/12 - 1/20/13)
9.5. [The Black Count] - Todd Reiss (1/21/13 - gave up)
10. [To Kill A Mockingbird] - Harper Lee (2/2/13 - 2/19/13)
11. [The Body] - Stephen King (audio) (2/12/13 - 2/17/13)
12. [The Glass Castle] - Jeannette Walls (2/12/13 - 2/26/13)
13. [The Hollywood Scoop] - Jordan Parker (2/14/13 - 2/24/13)
14. [The Memory Keepers Daughter] (Audio)- Kim Edwards (2/19/13 - 2/28/13)
15. [Life Expectancy] - Dean Koontz (2/17/13 - 3/15/13)
16. [Hallow's Ween] - Rex Jameson (2/28/13)
17. [Erotic Seduction] - Moll Molone (2/28/13)
18. [Foul Play] (audio)- Janet Evanovich (3/4/13 - 3/8/13)
19. [Living Half Free] - Haley Whitehall (3/5/13 - 03/6/13)
20. [Dave Bing] - Drew Sharp (3/1/12 - 3/22/13)
21. [The Twist] - James E. Causey (3/24/13 - 4/6/13)
22. [Before i Breathe] - Jenelle Jack Pierre (3/12/13 - 3/14/13)
23. [Fifty Shames of Earl Grey] - Fanny Merkin - Audio (3/13/13 - 3/16/13)
24. [Three to Get Deadly] - Janet Evanovich (3/17/13 - 3/25/13)
25. Hide and Seek - [Jack Ketchum] - Audio (3/15/13 - 3/23/13)
26. [The Vow] - Denene Millner (3/25/13 - 4/15/13)
27. [The Undiscovered Novelist] - Sarah Bridgeton (03/25/13 - 04/04/13)
28. [Hero At Large] - Janet Evanovich - Audio (3/25/13 - 4/2/13)
29. [Lethargica] - Edward H. Carpenter (4/3/13 - 4/4/13)
30. [Roxy] - Jenelle Jack Pierre (4/8/13 - 4/8/13)
31. [Southern Charm: A Novel] Audio - Tinsley Mortimer (4/3/13 - 4/15/13)
32. [Desperate Thoughts: The Gift] - Ian Dalton (4/9/13 - 4/11/13)
33. Haunted - [Willow Cross] (4/15/13 - 4/16/13)
34. [Just One Sip] - Katie MacAlister (4/16/13 - 4/19/13)
35. [Neglected but Undefeated] - Jonathan Anthony Burkett (4/16/13 - 4/19/13)
36. [Night Stalks the Mansion: A True Story of One Family's Ghostly Adventure] - Constance Westbie (4/16/13 - 4/20/13)
37. [The Loom] - Shella Gillus (4/22/13 - 4/29/13)
38. [Private Property] - Leah Braemel (4/23/13 - 4/25/13)
39. [Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel] - Debbie Macomber (4/23/13 - 4/29/13)
40. [Why Can't My Daughter Read?] - Dr. Ellen Burns Hurst (4/23/13 - 5/2/13)
41. [Seminole Song] - Audio - Vella Munn (4/22/13 - 5/4/13)
42. [2:20] - Holly A. Hook (4/30/13 - 5/1/13)
43. [Running With Scissors] - Augusten Burroughs (5/1/13 - 5/16/13)
44. [Krik Krak] - Edwidge Danticat (5/1/13 - 5/5/13)
45. [Four to Score] - Janet Evanovich (5/6/13 - 5/13/13)
46. [I Can Barely Take Care of Myself: Tales From a Happy Life Without Kids] - Jen Kirkman (5/6/13 - 5/16/13)
47. [High Five] - Janet Evanovich (5/16/13 - 5/23/13)
48. [Z] - Michael Thomas Ford (5/16/13 - 5/20/13)
49. [No Good Deeds] - Audio - Laura Lippman (5/17/13 - 6/9/13)
50. [Celia, A Slave] - Melton A McLaurin (5/23/13 - 5/29/13)
51. [The Affair] - Colette Freedman (5/23/13 - 6/1/13)
52. [The Shelter] -SunHi Mistwalker (5/30/13)
53. [Q is for Quarry] - Sue Grafton (6/1/13 - 6/12/13)
54. [New Hope City] - SunHi Mistwalker (6/1/13 - 6/4/13)
55. [One Crazy Summer] - Rita Williams-Garcia (6/1/13 - 6/6/13)
56. [Disintegration] - Scott Nicholson (6/5/13 - 6/19/13)
57. [Hot Six] - Janet Evanovich (6/12/13 - 6/15/13)
58. [Seven Up] - Janet Evanovich (6/17/13 - 6/24/13)
59. [You Suck] (Audio) - Christopher Moore (6/17/13 - 6/28/13)
60. [The X in Sex] - David Bainbridge (6/20/13 - 6/30/13)
61. [Crime Beat] - Scott Nicholson (6/20/13)
62. [The Skull Ring] - Scott Nicholson (6/21/13 - 7/8/13)
63. [Looking for Palestine: Growing Up Confused in an Arab-American Family] - Najla Said (6/27/13 - 7/16/13)
64. [The Conjuring Glass] - Brian Knight (6/26/13 - 7/17/13)
65. [Joyland] - Stephen King (7/1/13 - 7/11/13)
66. [Love, Honor & Betray] (Audio) - Kimberla Lawson Roby (7/1/13 - 7/16/13)
67. [A Thousand Splendid Suns] - Khaled Hosseini (7/20/13 - 7/31/13)
68. [Camo Girl] - Kekla Magoon (7/18/13 - 7/26/13)
69. Carpe Diem (short) - Michael Loring (7/22/13)
70. [Twenties Girl] - Audio - Sophie Kinsella (7/24/13 - 8/2/13)
71. [Swimming Upstream, Slowly] - Melissa Clark (8/1/13 - 8/7/13)
72. [The Mis-Education of the Negro] - Carter G. Woodson (8/1/13 - 10/6/13)
73. [The Bachman Books] - Stephen King (8/8/13 - 9/29/13)
74. [Makeda] - Randall Robinson (9/1/13 - 10/1/13)
75. [Hard Eight] - Janet Evanovich (9/9/13 - 9/17/13)
76. [Visions of Sugar Plums] - Janet Evanovich (10/1/13 - 10/3/13)
77. [To The Nines] - Janet Evanovich (10/4/13 - 10/8/13)
78. Blessed Sons - Eric McKinley (10/5/13 - 10/29/13)
79. [P.S. Be Eleven] - Rita Williams-Garcia (10/5/13 - 10/31/13)
80. [Pirate's Price] - Aubrey Ross (10/19/13)
81. [Tempted by Trouble] (Audio) - Eric Jerome Dickey ( - 10/30/13)
82. [Ten Big Ones] - Janet Evanovich (10/ /13 - 10/29/13)
83. [Last Chance Saloon] - Miriam Keyes (11/1/13 - 11/13/13)
84. [Eleven on Top] - Janet Evanovich (11/1/13 - 11/14/13)
85. [The Storm] - Clive Cussler (11/1/13 - 11/20/13)
86. [Who Asked You?] - Terry McMillan (11/13/13 - 12/1/13)
87. [Enter Whining] - Fran Drescher (11/15/13 - 11/25/13)
88. [Midwives] - Chris Bohjalian (11/22/13 - 12/1/13)
89. [Death Ain't But A Word] - Zander Marks (11/22/13 - 12/8/13)
90. [Plum Lovin'] - Janet Evanovich (12/2013)
91. [The Undomestic Goddess] - Sophie Kinsella (12/2013)
92. [Twelve Sharp] - Audio - Janet Evanovich (12/9/13 - 12/13/13)
93. [Trojan Odyssey] - Clive Cussler (12/9/13 - 12/27/13)
94. [Bared To You] - Sylvia Day (12/9/13 - 12/18/13)
95. [The Bluffer's Guide to Your Own Business] - John Winterson Richards (12/20/13)
96. [Lean Mean Thirteen] - Janet Evanovich (12/27/13 - 12/30/13)
97. [The Heist] Audio - Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg (12/21/13 - 12/31/13)
I struggled through this book. It just wouldn't keep my attention. I found myself skimming all the filler and background information, to read only those passages that had to do with the birth/death and case.
I've read some other reviews; one person compared it to To Kill A Mockingbird. I can see the comparison, but it was not at all what I was expecting. I expected more trial and jury stuff.
Maybe I will give it another try in the future.
My first Clive Cussler book. AWESOME. Imagine if you will, a swarm of microbots in the ocean with the ability to change the weather pattern anywhere in the world. What would happen? What would happen if these microbots were meant to keep the waters clean of debris and were able to "reproduce" uncontrolled? Originally created for good, but made bad.
I will read more by this author. It is not longer a "man" book to me.
Dmytryk and Cora loose their jobs in the auto industry during "the great recession". They are barely living paycheck to paycheck doing legal work, when Cora introduces Dmytryk to a man who can help them put quick money in their pockets.
After a job or two, Cora runs out on Dmytryk and his new goal is to earn enough quick money to find his wife and bring her back. What he finds in the end is something that breaks his heart and but considering the circumstances...he keeps it moving.
By the end of the story I was basically exhausted from listening to it, so I think the last few chapters are "dreams" of the ending of the last jobs. But in the end, he got what he always wanted before Cora left them.
I found this book to be more entertaining than I thought. I may have to revisit more of Mr. Dickey's current books.
Uncorrected proof so I will not discuss the minor errors in that regard. I did find certain parts confusing as multiple characters would have thoughts/feelings in the same chapters without a real separation. (Kind of like watching a show where music is playing and you see what various characters are doing in the same time period in different places.)
I can sympathize with Jon's feeling about his professional and personal life. He feels like he is stagnant: working with the same law firm for 6 year with no raise or promotion, doesn't care for the types of cases that come his way, a wife, Cheryl, whose career is taking off so he is feeling like "Mr. Cheryl".
After receiving a case that could make or break him, he uses it as his opportunity to break free. All the relationships that seemed to drain him, are cut and he embarks on a new life.
When it comes to books, I always bite off more than I can chew. I am reading 3 books but I go to the library and pick up 3 more. Urgghh, there is just not enough time.